Sunday, August 22, 2010

Reading Dear Sugar at The Rumpus

Mhmmm....well, after seeing a series of Facebook posts about it. I went to read it myself and found it was just as cool as everyone had been touting it to be.

So, I highly recommend reading the August 19th "Dear Sugar" column, called "Write Like Motherfucker":

http://therumpus.net/2010/08/dear-sugar-the-rumpus-advice-column-48-write-like-a-motherfucker/
"So write, Elissa Bassist. Not like a girl. Not like a boy. Like a motherfucker." -- Sugar

This is bound to become a classic. I hear shades of Virginia Woolf's "Professions for Women" in Sugar's words, especially killing the "Angel in the House".

You can read Woolf's speech here, for comparison purposes:
http://s.spachman.tripod.com/Woolf/professions.htm

And, here's an excerpt from Woolf's essay:
"It was she who used to come between me and my paper when I was writing reviews. It was she who bothered me and wasted my time and so tormented me that at last I killed her. You who come of a younger and happier generation may not have heard of her--you may not know what I mean by the Angel in the House. I will describe her as shortly as I can. She was intensely sympathetic. She was immensely charming. She was utterly unselfish. She excelled in the difficult arts of family life. She sacrificed herself daily. If there was chicken, she took the leg; if there was a draught she sat in it--in short she was so constituted that she never had a mind or a wish of her own, but preferred to sympathize always with the minds and wishes of others. Above all--I need not say it---she was pure. Her purity was supposed to be her chief beauty--her blushes, her great grace. In those days--the last of Queen Victoria--every house had its Angel. And when I came to write I encountered her with the very first words. The shadow of her wings fell on my page; I heard the rustling of her skirts in the room. Directly, that is to say, I took my pen in my hand to review that novel by a famous man, she slipped behind me and whispered: 'My dear, you are a young woman. You are writing about a book that has been written by a man. Be sympathetic; be tender; flatter; deceive; use all the arts and wiles of our sex. Never let anybody guess that you have a mind of your own. Above all, be pure.' And she made as if to guide my pen. I now record the one act for which I take some credit to myself, though the credit rightly belongs to some excellent ancestors of mine who left me a certain sum of money--shall we say five hundred pounds a year?--so that it was not necessary for me to depend solely on charm for my living. I turned upon her and caught her by the throat. I did my best to kill her. My excuse, if I were to be had up in a court of law, would be that I acted in self-defence. Had I not killed her she would have killed me. She would have plucked the heart out of my writing." -- Woolf

No comments:

Post a Comment