Monday, January 7, 2013

And building on that inspiration...

Building on that inspiration I mentioned in my previous post, I've started adding embroidery to my 2-D art work again. I've embroidered my work before (quick aside: my Grandmother taught me how to embroider when I was in young--elementary school age--during summers, when I needed something to do, and she was constantly unknotting my thread and fixing my stitches), but exclusively on canvas rather than paper. Heavy watercolor paper, however, can withstand fairly rigorous embroidery work, although it's difficult to follow an outline with precision because I can't pull on the thread to find my place as I can with fabric. Nevertheless, I'm liking this form of expression when used in conjunction with painting and illustration. I'll continue to work with it in other pieces. Next post: an update on the Radium Girls project!

"The Dream River", a mixed media work now available in my art store. 
(acrylic, watercolor, ink, and embroidery on heavy painting paper; free-form cut scalloped edges)


No comments:

Post a Comment