Sunday, February 13, 2011

Artists in Their Studios


Mmmmm....the beauty of painting studios. Scrumptiousness.
(Credit: Indeedartandcoffee.blogspot.com)

Here's a shout out to a fantastic blog, dedicated to artists in their studios. Check it out here.

"The artist's studio is, at various times and in equal parts, a laboratory, workshop, playground, refuge, battleground, arena, testing ground, and hiding place."
                                                        -- Thomas Ganzevoort, artist and academic librarian

An artist I've been thinking about a lot lately is Cecily Brown. I remember, back in 2000, just before I got my master's degree, I was on a stationary gym bike with a Vanity Fair magazine, which considerably brightened my hour-long, pedaling-to-nowhere insanity: it profiled a number of New York artists, many of them under 40. Cecily Brown was one of them. To me, she is equal parts Willem de Kooning and Francis Bacon, with a liberal dash of Jackson Pollock. Brown, who was born in London, came to New York and had a 1997 show at Deitch Projects that, from all accounts, blew the lid off the art world in NYC....or so the story goes. I've been interested in Brown's work, and will continue to follow what she's up to. But more on that later....

2 comments: