Thursday, February 24, 2011

Bird Man is complete...and other stories


Savannah Schroll Guz, "Bird Man" (2011)
pen and printer ink on archival paper
 So, my dear Bird Man (not Icarus only because it's night when he falls from the sky), was completed night before last in between bouts of paper grading. Remember when he was nothing but a Peep Boy (or should I say Little Boy Peep?)
On another note, I'll be bringing old paintings back from the city today, along with my old Julian easel, which will be immensely helpful. Pictures of the new older paintings to come. I can't wait to see them. I almost feel like I'm being reuinted with old friends. Weird, I know.


 
Canvases in progress
Remember this painting? (click on "this painting" to see what the heck I'm talking about). A new pic of the progress appears at right. Did I mention that we're going to beekeepers this summer? Well, this is part of the inspiration. You can still see some of the underlying bones from the skeletal foot beneath the center bee on the right hand canvas, but it's heading in a different, much brighter direction now (i.e. no more dead stuff). 'Bout time it was completed, too. I've had that unfinished skeletal foot since at least early 2002.


"From Flannery's Flock" -- in progress
(Savannah is building tail feathers, slowly, layer by layer)

Also, I continue to work on the peacock painting, although it's in a slightly unsightly mess right now (see the pic at left). I'm building up color and detail in those extravagant tail feathers, so it looks a little wonky, flat, and unfinished right now. But good things take time...and effort.

Eventually, too, I plan to place them among poppies, and have two small glittery flies buzzing above their heads. Soon to come...soon to come.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment