Thursday, March 22, 2012

New Illustration, Interesting Music

"Radium Girl" (c) Savannah Schroll Guz, all rights reserved
Savannah Schroll Guz, "Radium Girl" (2012)
ink, watercolor, colored pencil, gold leaf on paper
Above is a new work I completed yesterday and is now in my shop. I'm on the fence about how it turned out because I can see its flaws, and it has many flaws to my eye. However, Michael, who saw it sitting on the kitchen table when he came home (since I kept trying to get a fresh-eyed look at it as I was making dinner--to see if the image had the right visual impact), said, totally unprompted by any questioning, "I like that. It's got a Helene Bohnam Carter look to it.' So, okay then. It passes muster for me, too. What I did gain from the experience is a new-found enthusiasm for gold leaf as an, albeit expensive, collage element. I had a tiny bit just lying around (literally, under a side table in the living room) from having gilded a picture frame. So I used the rest of it as an experiment, which I've been wanting to do for weeks now. I just hadn't previously found the right work to apply my experiment to.
Speaking of experiments...I've mentioned Lemon Jelly before, likely a half dozen times. I found them by way of Lastfm, when I play Blockhead radio. When you play a particular artist radio, it chooses not music by that artist  but by bands that have a similar sound. They were a happy discovery, since they have the kind of retro/scientific weirdness I like and make musical collages of sampled sound bytes.

No comments:

Post a Comment