Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Of Drawers and Shorts....

So, I just have time for a short post today, as I'm in the throes of an article revision, making lecture notes for two composition classes that begin on Saturday, and working through my book review column (four down, four to go!). However, I finished the calla lily box last week. I've begun a few new painted works, but I have to finish applying outdoor latex paint to two columns of bee hive boxes before our new bee packages arrive in April, so it may be a few days before I can get back to the other painted furniture. On an exciting note, spring break is next week, so I'll get a little time to catch up then.
See the Calla Lily Box in my art store!
I call it "Box of Drawers" in my shop, and while that's accurate, since
it is very literally a box of drawers, it does sound like a bunch of
men's briefs will darting out of any available opening.
Michael and I were fortunate to see the Oscar-nominated short animated movies last Thursday at the Harris Theater. (We actually got to be in the same balcony seats we sat in on our second date, when we saw The World's Fastest Indian way back in November of 2005--magic!) Our two favorites were likely the most poignant as well, Wild Life, a Canadian film that was simultaneously funny and profoundly sad. (I won't spoil the ending for you, if you haven't seen it.)


Still from Wild Life by Calgary animators Wendy Tilby and Amanda Forbis
They worked seven years on this short animated film.
You can read more about them in this article.
 Our other favorite was The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore, which bears an allegorical message on the ways in which books can save and give meaning to life. The allegory is expressed by way of one man's life following a storm comparable to Hurricane Katrina. The ending, however, was so sad, it made both of us cry. It was not a desolation kind of sad, but a sadness that grows out of understanding the trajectory of life and not wanting to part with the character.

The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore
(Photo Credit: the Tartan)
Find Morris Lessmore and see more of the film here.
 That's all for now...more to come soon, soon....

No comments:

Post a Comment