Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Alex Kuno's Tiny Miscreants

Alex Kuno
The Savagery of the Red Cat (Or: The End of Summer)
Featured on the Minnesota Artists website.
 
I'm totally smitten by the work of Alex Kuno, whose paintings I recently found on Etsy. See his shop here. According to his profile on the Minnesota Artists website, his work is similar to Beatrix Potter, Egon Schiele, Otto Dix, Edward Gorey, and Maurice Sendak. I can see that he is the best distillation of all five combined. But I would also say there is some Pieter Breughel, the Elder and Hieronymous Bosch in there as well. (Would Kuno consider doing his own version of the "Seven Deadly Sins", I wonder? Perhaps he already has, and I have not yet found it.) I would also add that there appears to be at least an influential dash of some other Northern Renaissance painters, like Jan Van Eyck, flavoring his work. Dig this Kuno painting detail, for example. Also, check out the gorgeous, watery lustre of the character's eyes here. Now that, kids, is virtuosity.

You can check out Kuno's blog, "Miscreants of Tiny Town" and see more of his works in progress here: http://alexkuno.blogspot.com/
Savannah Schroll Guz
"You Get a Gold Star!" (Art Pin)

In other art-related news, three of the aforementioned art pins (the ones I began yesterday) are complete and in the shop. To the right is "You Get a Gold Star!". But you can see all three in my shop, by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment