Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Lesser Known Girl Gang and other tales


Foxfire: Confessions of a Girl GangTales of the Lesser Known Girl Gang have begun... I've started a series of polymer clay jewelry loosely (very loosely) based on Foxfire by Joyce Carol Oates, a book I loved when I read it (and still think about sometimes). This has actually inspired a whole host of characters that I've started painting in between bouts of review writing, lecture prep and paper grading. (Um, right. I made that sound like a case of Montezuma's Revenge, which was not intentional, but funny nonetheless). The rest of the pics here are two of the characters from an ever-growing cast (more each week).

Eva, the Enforcer
See her on Etsy here.

My review of Peter Calaboyias' retrospective, currently on view at GalleriE Chiz in Pittsburgh's Shadyside neighborhood, will run in Pittsburgh City Paper next week. And right now, I'm also working on a review of this show, currently at the Warhol Museum: Sandow Birk's American Qur'an. It is not what I first believed it to be from the publicity statement alone. But more on this later, once the review runs. I don't want to show my cards just yet, you know?

Eva on my "lapel". She's kinda tiny.
Believe it or not, I was very much like Eva as a kid.
Dad didn't call me "Rip and Tear" for nothin'.
Loretta, Eva's mother and girl gang "house mother".
You can see her on Etsy here!
Also, check this out: an interview with the artist Alex Kuno, whose work I talk about in the previous post. There are more examples of his art to complement the text. Excellent, excellent stuff--these other worlds and the characters he populates them with are simply amazing.

Finally, before I go a-review-writing, let's enjoy a delightfully freaky moment with our friend Sebastien Tellier, shall we?

No comments:

Post a Comment